One Lift To Rule Them All
This article is not about the squat. Or the deadlift. Or even the bench press.
They are all great movement in their own right, don’t get me wrong. They can build muscle, increase functional strength, and even power.
However, today I am writing about a move that has been forgotten in today’s popular bodybuilding magazines and routines.
The Double Dumbbell Clean And Press
1. Grab a dumbbell in each hand, and stand tall – with your arms hanging at your side.
2. Hinge at the hips and bend until the dumbbells are about knee level.
3. Stand up quickly, squeezing your glutes and shrugging your shoulder while lifting the weights to your shoulders.
4. Perform an overhead press.
5. Return the weights to your sides.
This video does a decent job at demonstrating the exercise:
Because it will break your ass down.
Seriously. Whether you choose a low weight and high reps, or vice versa. Cleaning the weight up to your shoulders builds explosive power. And the overhead press works the entire upper body.
Throughout the movement you work everything from your glutes and hamstrings to your back, shoulders, and arms.
Give it a try. Add this one exercise to the beginning of your next workout. Go for 5 sets of 5, upping the weight with each set. If you are having difficulty pressing the dumbbells overhead, then you’re going too heavy.
Strength, power, hypertrophy – it’s all here.
Read More: 10 Reasons You Can’t Build Muscle